Subject: Re: 21mm, Super Angulon etc
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 11:25:33 -0700

Rob Garbutt wrote:

>Can you please explain retrofocus for me?

> . . .  and your metered/meterless body comment?

Wide angle lenses today are of two basic designs. One is the symmetrical,
classic design as exemplified by the Super Angulon (both for Leica and for
large format cameras) where the lens elements on one side of the diaphragm
look very similar to the elements on the other side. This type of design is
easier to calculate, has _no_ distortion by definition if it is truly
symmetrical, and usually offers both very high resolution anc contrast when
done properly. Also, it follows the cos fourth law to the letter, which
means that the amount of light reaching a given point on the image is
proportional to the fourth power of the cosine of the angle that the light
is off axis. For a 50mm lens, the far corners are 23 degrees off the axis,
so cosine of 23 degrees to the fourth power is 0.71. So the corners receive
71 percent of the light, or about 1/2 stop less than the center in a true
symmetrical lens. For a 21mm lens, the far corners are  about 45 degrees
off the axis, and the cos of 45 to the fourth power is less than 0.24, so
the corners receive 2 stops less. A little bit of optical fiddling is done
to compensate, and the Super Angulon (as well as all other 'classical'
designs) use this to fix things a little. The only real fix is a graduated
ND center filter, which large format users (and Hologon users) are quite
familiar with. In a symmetrical design the rear elements are inevitebly a
lot closer to the film plane than the focal length.

The other type of wide angle lens is the 'retrofocus' or 'inverse
telephoto' type. Whereas in a telephoto, the object is to shorten the lens
so that the focal length is less than the length of the lens + body, in the
retrofocus design the point is to get the back elements far enough from the
film plane to avoid interfering with the SLR mirror or with the light path
in the M6 that is required for metering. The back elements of the SA are
just too close to the shutter to allow the meter to see the white patch on
the curtain. This design tends to be decidedly non-symmetrical, and leads
to all sorts of design problems, which affect resolution in the corners,
contrast (usually there are a lot more elements involved) and distortion.
However, the cone of light from the back of the lens is a lot narrower, as
the diaphragm is a lot further away from the film, so the cos fourth
falloff is not as severe. Actually, this is an oversimplification, but this
is part of what happens. There are a lot of other optical tricks used to
even up illumination, but this is the one area where retrofocus designs are
superior to symmetrical designs.

This light falloff thing discussed above (optical vignetting) has nothing
to do with the other type of vignetting (physical, or just 'vignetting').
Physical vignetting occurs when some part of the lens barrel, lens hood or
filter (or finger) gets in the way and keeps the lens opening from being
seen as a circular (or six sided, depending on your diaphragm) opening by
the film. Retrofocus lenses need larger front elements than symmetrical
designs, usually, so to make things practical and to save money the lens
barrels are often constricted a bit with the result that retrofocus lens
often have to be stopped down more to get rid of vignetting than
symmetrical designs. The SA only has to be stopped down to f/5.6 (1 - 1/2
stops down) to get rid of vignetting, whereas the older Elmarit needed to
be stopped down to f/8 (3 stops), _and_ the SA takes 48mm filters wheras
the Elmarit takes 60mm filters.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com