Subject: Re: Leica Lens Patents
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:01:54 -0400

Under international patent and copyright conventions, the life of
intellectual property is controlled by the granting nation.  In German law,
the life of a patent is 20 years and is non-renewable.  (This,
incidentally, explains why the initial 3.5/5cm lens on the first Leica was
dubbed an 'Anastigmat' and only acquired the Elmax name in '23.  The Zeiss
patent on the Tessar formula expired at the end of '22:  to that point,
Zeiss only allowed others to use it if they gave it the Zeiss trademark,
'Anastigmat'.  Once the patent expired, Leitz could call it anything they
wanted, so they gave it the acronym, ELMAX from "Ernst Leitz Max", the last
for Professor Max Berek, head of optical design at Leitz.)

I believe Japanese law tracks this as well.  In any event, the original LTM
patent expired in 1951, and Leitz made no effort to protect it.  For that
matter, Vivitar made a run of Leica R lenses in the mid-1980's:  the patent
on the R bayonet would have expired in '83 or so.

Thus, I am fairly comfortable in saying that there is no legal protection
afforded the M mount anywhere.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!