Subject: Re: 50 nlux Vs 75 slux
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 18:07:59 -0400

At 11:10 PM 23-10-97 +0100, Guido Ridoli wrote:
>I would like to buy a Noctilux 50 1,0 or a Summilux 75 1,4
>For me is difficult to choose
>Can I  consider the Noctilux an universal 50 mm?
>What about at f 11 and f 16?
>
>Is the 75 Slux more usable lens ?
>Is difficult to focus at low ligt with thw 75 Slux? What about its short
>deep of field?
>What do you think about?
>I know it is a strange question, but can you help me?
>Thanks

I happen to have the 75/1.4, and I think its a great lens.  I recently shot
a model in a city park near dusk with EI 80 film, and obtained excellent
negatives.  I never closed the lens down below f2.8.   A few shots were
done at f2.   Sharpness was suburb (better than my tele-elmarit 90 at f2.8
would have been capable of), and the out of focus areas were lovely.
Focusing was easy.  I did this shoot at the same time as my 50mm "Leica
Challenge", so maybe I will throw in a few of the 75s into the care
package.  More details later.

Incidently, someone on the list posted a ref. to some articles out of the
LHSA.  One in particular

	http://wanda.pond.com/~lhsa/articles/summilux.html

I would highly recommend.  The author points out that the 35/1.4, because
of its easier hand holding abilities, is actually as capable as the 50mm
Noctliux at capturing low light level pictures.  In other words, 1/15 at
f1.4 (easily done with the 35) is equivalent to 1/30 at f1 with the
Noctilux.  Something to think about.

Dan C.