Subject: Re: Q: 75 Summilux
From: Vondauster@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 10:14:35 -0500 (EST)

Hi All,

In a message dated 97-10-26 03:49:39 EST, Alfred wrote:

<< 1) Do I understand your words correct, that the 75/Summilux and
90/Summicron
 are equal in sharpness between f2 and f4, and that the current 90/Elamrit is
 better than both at f2.8 and f4 (and higher apertures)?>>

In my experience, yes to both questions.

<< 2) Is the 75/Summilux a "warm" or "cold" lens? >>

Interesting question. When I did the accross-the-board test of M6 versus G2
lenses, one of the striking results was that the slides from each
manufacturer clearly displayed color characteristics consistent within
manufacturer, and quite different between Zeiss and Leica. All of the
(excellent) Zeiss lenses were clearly "warmer" than the Leica lenses, showing
increased yellow and green versus the Leica lenses. The Leica lenses looked
"cold" by comparison, which the evaluators all described as increased majenta
and slightly more blue. Both pallettes were pleasing, but still surprisingly
different from each other. The 75mm Summilux displays the modern M lens color
characteristics.

In my experience, Leica lenses have been very consistent in color rendition
over the past 20 years. The last "warm" Leica lens I have used was the older
Summitar.

FYI: I have found most Canon lenses display a blue shift, Nikon a brownish
cast. Both of these shifts are subtle and have never been a problem.

We are burried under almost a meter of snow here in Denver today. A good day
to print pix...

Will von Dauster