Subject: M-2 story revised
From: Kim Sherman <ksherman@cottenmusic.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 18:50:41 -0600

Harrison, Hans, Doc and Marvin,

Thanks to all of you for the notes this afternoon re: my M-2 purchase.  I
appreciate all the advice....here's the scoop on what I did:

I decided it would be better to drive to Huntsville (260 miles, door to
door) and return the M-2 in person to the dealer from California.  This way
I could retrieve my check, rather than taking the chance it might get
deposited before he knew of my intention to return the camera body.  Also,
having never been to a camera show before yesterday, I decided it would be
worth my time to see another one---especially since everyone at the
Nashville show told me the Huntsville show is much bigger, and in some
ways, better.

I left a little after noon, and I've just now returned.  It was
certainlyworth the trip.  The drive was easy and beautiful, and the Civic
Center, in downtown Huntsville was very easy to find.  The Huntsville show
cost only $3 to enter, whereas the Nashville show (with a discount for
bringing in the Shutterbug ad) was $5.25.  Go figure.

To make it short, I was walking around the show looking for the dealer from
whom I'd made my earlier purchase, when I spied another M-2 at
Southerland's (the folks putting on the show) booth.  I asked to see it
because it looked to be in almost mint condition.  The film advance was as
smooth as any I've ever tried, and the shutter speeds were perfect too.  I
showed the young man the camera body I'd purchased yesterday, and he agreed
it was gorgeous, but that for the price I paid it should have been right on
in terms of shutter speed and rangefinder accuracy.  I asked him to hold
the M-2 (serial #
1062191) in Mint-- (hey, if we can say Exc++, why not Mint - - <g) while I
returned the other camera.

I did this immediately.  The dealer saw me coming, and to his credit, he
immediately reached for his wallet to retrieve my check.  I handed him the
box and explained that the camera required more in the way of repair than I
could afford.

I walked around a while looking to see if there were any other really
clean, 1million plus numbered M-2s, and failing to find any, went back to
Southerlands' booth.  The M-2 held for me, it turns out, had just returned
from Sherry Kreiter's shop, where it had been completely CLA'd.  It's as
smooth as silk and in absolutely wonderful condition--even considering the
one tiny ding on the front edge of the body.  Other than that ding (and
it's miniscule, I promise), it's a solid Mint-.  The top plate is otherwise
perfect, the baseplate has only one small brightmark, and there are NO
marks around the strap lugs.  THe leather's perfect, etc.

The price:  $1175 out the door w/a full ONE YEAR warrnanty.  Christi and
Jared, who sold me the M-2, told me their dealer cost at Kreiter's shop was
$180 for the work done, and if I'd sent it in, it would have been a good
third more in cost.  They told me Ms. Kreiter is wonderful at what she does
and would certainly stand behind her own work for the full year.

Three men stopped me as I walking around the show, having overheard my
conversation with the folks from Southerlands.  They were all men who had
purchased equipment from the shop, and they had nothing but good things to
say about their level of integrity/service.

I'm very thankful to have found this M-2, and I thank all of you for your
comments and advice.  This one's a definite keeper and I feel GREAT about
my purchase.

Thanks again to the LUG for being such a great source of information and
inspiration.  I appreciate this group tremendously.....

Kim