Subject: Re: Special M6's
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 11:05:09 -0800

<HTML>
Well Danny,

<P>I cannot help but be amused and thankful for your persistent point of
view.&nbsp;&nbsp; On one hand, you remind me of the flatlanders (is that
the right term?) who still claim the earth is flat as a pancake, regardless
of all the evidence to the contrary.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; On the other hand,
I really wish ALL Leica enthusiasts shared your opinions on the desirability
of rare items--camera dealers would be a hell of a lot richer.

<P>Faced with evidence that all rare Leica is not desirable (a question
you demanded the answer you), you dismiss Marc's answer because it was
not Leica, and you dismiss my reply&nbsp; because: (Danny's&nbsp; statement)
<UL>"Though you've given a couple of examples to prove this point, the
fact of the matter is
<BR>that these are the exceptional contradictions and not representative
of what is,
<BR>generally/most commonly, a safe rule. Rarity in Leica is like location
is to real estate."</UL>

<P>Sorry Danny, I wish you were correct.&nbsp; Rarity is just PART of the
equation, the other part being demand which is often a fleeting&nbsp; popularity.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Rare alone does not make it.&nbsp; For it to be desirable and valuable
to Leica collectors, ready documentation and market value must be established--but&nbsp;
that is not enough--they need to be popular too..

<P>a) a few years ago a friend of mine had the ONLY M2 prototype half frame
EVER made, out of Leitz Canada.&nbsp; It was hand made by the production
manager of the facility, with full documentation.&nbsp; Yet it was not
something that collectors could document in their standard reference works.&nbsp;
Eventually it was sold at a fraction of the price of an MP, even though
it is much rarer than an MP.

<P>b) at the moment I am trying to get documentation on a rare Kriegsmarine
camera from military experts in Germany.&nbsp; Without that documentation,
its just another camera.&nbsp; With that documentation, it should be quite
valuable, without it, a rare so what.

<P>c) black enamel Leicaflexes are rare, but very hard to sell because
of lack of demand.&nbsp; The rarest Leica collector is a Leica SLR collector.&nbsp;
the same is true for SL and SL2 MOTs.

<P>d) At the moment, M5's are sought after collectibles.&nbsp; Their prices
far exceed the M4-2, even though the M4-2 has only half the production
of M5's.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Popularity has a big effect on price.&nbsp;
Only a few years ago the M5's had almost no demand, and low prices.

<P>e) Popularity can also make common cameras valuable.&nbsp; By far the
most numerous Leica is the M3, yet it is also among the most expensive
if truly in LIKE NEW condition.&nbsp; If rarity was all there was to it,
prices would be much lower.

<P>f) The Gold M4-2's, R3's and R4's are well known and documented, and
their value established at least as far as the Leica Price Guide is concerned.&nbsp;
Yet they are very difficult to sell for the supposed price because of lack
of demand....they simply are not popular cameras.

<P>g) Most of the SE M6's and R's also fall into this category.&nbsp; But
that is not to say that occasionally a pigeon will come along who will
buy these usually hard to move cameras (thank god).&nbsp; That you sold
your PAD to a dealer probably only means he had another pigeon waiting
for it.&nbsp; It proves nothing about their real market value.&nbsp; Call
Don Chatteron, he will also tell you the new instant collectibles are turning
out generally have little market demand.&nbsp;&nbsp; But of course, maybe
his experience doesn't count either.

<P>All of the above goes back to my point that rarity does not prove desirability
or value amongst Leica collectors. It goes well beyond that.&nbsp; you
went on to write:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>What exceptional 'quality' does a platinum or 50th anniversary M6 have?
One of these
<BR>celebrates a date in Leica history, but then the "I'm stuck" does that
as well. Seems to me
<BR>that you're OK with status quo acceptable collectibles editions and
'against' models
<BR>without a timeline of acceptability. Pardon the chide but you're speaking
like a typical
<BR>'play it safe' dealer.
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
I was referring to a "quality" investment, the exception to the normal
SE marketplace.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Leica used to make great cameras which
coincidentally became collectible because they were great cameras.&nbsp;
Now they try to make instant collectibles to pay the bills because they
are no longer competitive in the marketplace.&nbsp;&nbsp; This gets back
to Solm's quest of doing anything for the buck commemoratives for naive
newbie collectors. With this exchange on the LUG,&nbsp; I: wouldn't be
surprised that the&nbsp; boys at Solms are getting ready to make the "M6
Commemorative for Forgotten M6 Commemoratives."&nbsp;&nbsp; Kind of the
unknown soldier idea.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; you wrote that:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;but not one of you cancite any SE Leica that
was failure enough to not command some sort of a premium value over a normal
version, later in its resale market price. AFAICT, all of them hold their
value better, on a percentage basis, than a normal version.</BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Danny, if they don't sell, they don't "command" anything, and they usually
don't&nbsp; sell.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Since the SE's are generally&nbsp;
hard to sell because of little collector interest,&nbsp; they have make
poor investments--turning a liquid investment into an albatross.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
If its not readily salable, your stuck.&nbsp; The real issue is not whether
a SE will command a premium in the used market over a normal version, but
HOW MUCH money will the investor lose or gain by buying a SE. Paying a
premium for a SE which you will lose money&nbsp; on just doesn't make a
lot of sense.&nbsp;&nbsp; Most of the SE, whether you believe it or not,
are generally hard to sell...until the seller is lucky enough to find a
buyer.&nbsp; (three cheers Leica stockholders)
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>There's plenty of examples in every SB issue for
my side of the equation (besides my
<BR>personal experience). Where's the solid evidence to back up Marc, Marvin
and yours?</BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Its interesting that you find your own personal experience in this matter
useful, but dismiss the experience three people who each&nbsp; have decades
of experience in Leica.&nbsp; It reminds me of a Los Angeles DJ who says
that " If I don't know it, it didn't happen."

<P>Ironically the solid evidence is in front of you in Shutterbug, but
you don't realize it.&nbsp; Anyone can advertise in Shutterbug for any
price they like.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Unfortunately, verrry unfortunately,
this certainly don't mean that the advertised prices are the market prices.&nbsp;
Neither does it mean that the SE's will actually sell for the advertised
price.&nbsp;&nbsp; The are searching for pigeons, that's all.&nbsp; But
maybe I'm wrong. Quick, buy them all up before someone else does!&nbsp;&nbsp;
You'll make a fortune....their's.

<P>Danny,&nbsp; I know that you will probably remain unconvinced.&nbsp;
I hope a lot of people agree with you, so those SEs can finally sell and
perhaps Leica can survive.&nbsp; But their value and desirability as a
wise investment....that's a Leica of a different color.

<P>Regards,

<P>Stephen Gandy
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;</HTML>