Subject: Re: Roll call
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 23:18:46 -0800

Jim Brick
59 last January 14
Born and raised in Santa Cruz, Calif.
Wife Jennie, 29 years, my best friend
four kids, 26,24,22 (boys) & 17 (girl), also my best friends
two kids (24 & 17) still live at home, none married (whew!)
Live in Sunnyvale, Calif (aka Silicon Valley), 30 years
Oregon State College (55-59)
Brooks Institute of Photography (60-61)
Life member Brooks Inst. Alumni Assoc.
Free lance commercial photography for ten years
Current businesses:

PAN-TEC: computer system consulting, embedded controllers, co-authored "Bit
Slice Microprocessors Design", published by Mc Graw-Hill, Patent
(08/485,267) for "Time Division Duplex Communication Protocol Supporting
ISDN Messages", Wish I had more time for my photography! This computer
stuff is boring!

Visual Impressions Publishing:
Visual Impressions Photography:
Photography for our own books and for Fine Art. We (my wife and I) layout
and typeset the books using Pagemaker (Windows NT), then use a printer in
Hong Kong for the separations, printing, and binding. Four books so far,
two more in the works. Working on Fine Art prints, two galleries lined up
so far. This is really fun. Boy is it time consuming! We are going to step
up a notch and do the color separations ourselves for the next books.
Following Fred Wards lead. Fred is amazing!

My basic book and Fine Art photo kits:

Mostly for book photographs:
Two Leica R7's, one black, one chrome, winders.
15mm, 24mm, 28mm PC SA, 35mm PC Curtagon, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/2, 100mm f/2.8
APO, 180mm f/2.8, 350mm, 35-70mm E67 zoom, 70-180mm APO zoom, 1.4x APO
extender, 2x APO extender, NPC Polaroid back.

Mostly for Fine Art work:
4x5 Linhof Master Technika, Bromwell BOSScreen (wax layer focussing
screen), 75mm f/4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon MC, 120mm f/5.6 Schneider Super
Symmar-HM, 180mm f/5.6 Symmar-S MC, 240mm f/5.6 Symmar-S MC, Schneider 6x
aspheric focussing loupe.

Meters: Gossen Luna Star F; Pentax Digital Spotmeter, color corrected by
Zone VI (done years ago when it was cheap); Sekonic Studio Deluxe.

Tripods: Gitzo 346 (major workhorse), Bogen 3221 (secondary workhorse),
Gitzo 1228 Carbon (light weight travel), two B1 heads, one R2, and one R3
Gitzo pan heads. Really Right Stuff releases and plates on everything.
Gitzo monopod for stabilizing long lenses.

I'm not going to list the studio or darkroom stuff. It's not relevant.

Also... I have available for my use (I don't own them) a "Leitz" M6 and a
late M4-2. Various older lenses, 28, 35, 50, and 90. I'm not really
proficient at using them. My brain wants to see a ground glass. I actually
like to see what is out of focus. Show me the Bokeh! At some point in the
future, I may actually own them, or some M (did I say that... I better get
my head examined!)

Oh yeah... a Leitz/Singer/Kodak Pradolux RT-300 Carousel projector with
Colorplan CF 90mm f/2.5 lens. Very sharp and bright. Bought it when it
first came out. Have used it a lot over the years. Works great with 140
trays. Very robust. No breakdowns. I would buy another.

More than anybody wanted to know. It was fun writing this. To see it all
listed in one place, makes you stop and think about what you are doing, and
what you are doing it with.

Jim