Subject: Re: Adams
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 08:32:33 +0100

Eric, and other Adams's enthusiasts,

I agree, that the MF "moon and half dome" (MF, 4/250 Sonnar) belongs to his
extraordinary pix.

But, "Alfred Stieglitz, an American place" (Contax, 50 mm Tessar) is a
typical rigid or black Summicron picture at f 2 or 2.8. It's a nice pic, but
not so extraordinary as his other (LF) pix. And, I dare to say, if you're
into b/w, you have several of that type in your own files. Because the
Summicron creates them for you ...

The "Farmer Family" (4x5, 127 mm) has a better total composition than
"Martha Porter, Pioneer Woman" (MF, 80 mm) or "Jacques-Henri Lartigue" (MF,
120 mm). But I admit also, that "Carolyn Anspacher" (4x5", 300 mm) is (far)
worse than the Stieglitz protrait - it reminds me on a close-up protrait of
an egg.

Different, the protrait of "Georgia O'Keefe and Orville Kox" (Contax, 50 mm)
belongs to his good pictures, and shows the same fingerprint as "Church and
Road" (4x5"), "Aspens" (8x10), or "The Black Sun" (13x18 cm Linhof) ... but
still not as spectacular as e.g. "Moonrise" (8x10).

Respectfully,
Alf (adoring Adam's work also)