Subject: Re: Cap for Hood-35mm Summicron
From: Bob Parsons <bobp@dodo.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 19:13:47 +0000

>At 19:37 29/10/97 PST, Joe Berenbaum wrote:

>I'm not sure, I may have dreamt this, but I have the vague recollection of
>someone saying that the hood with fitting cap that comes with the 35mm
>Summicron Aspherical can also be used on the pre-Asph 35mm Summicron.
>Can anyone substantiate that? I'd like to know myself.

Yes it can, I tried this this afternoon at a dealers.... but you have to
be careful.
As far as I can tell the new ASPH hood will only fit "later" pre ASPH
Summicrons. The lens mount needs to have two small cut outs at the front
top and bottom  which accept two protruding locating lugs on the lens hood.

The replacement part numbers, listed in the ASPH instruction book are Lens
Hood 12 526 and Lens Hood Cap 14 043.

I have a lens hood that looks identical to the Leica 12 526 except it is
marked Leitz Canada and has a part number 12 524. Someone has cut the lugs
off and I use it on an early Canadian 35mm Summicron without the cut outs.
The ASPH hood with lugs will not attach properly to this lens, the lugs
get in the way.

Joe, you may be able to find a secondhand Leitz Canada 12 524 hood and
use the Leica Cap 14 043 with it as a lower cost option.

Bob Parsons.