Subject: Hurrell
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:03:11 -0800

All of this talk of Adams has reminded me of one of my own favorites,
the Hollywood Glamour photographer George Hurrell, widely regarded as
the best of all the Hollywood glamour photographers of the 30's and
40's.  .

Two recent great books are worth looking at if you like his work.

The first is by my friend Mark Vieira, called "Hurrell's Hollywood
Portraits"  printed by Harry Abrams. The quality of the printing, the
choice of portraits, and the background information, are all superb.

The second book isn't Hurrell, but it done in his style and is a very
impressive work.  Its the BW portraits of  Len Prince, called "About
Glamour," printed by Simon & Schuster.   Most of the work was shot in
1994 of contemporary stars.  Prince comes as close to anyone that I have
seen to the Hurrell look. .

Both books are large picture books, beautifully printed and really show
off the best in black and white 8x10 portraiture.

By the way; if any of you out there have original Hurrell or Mortensen
prints, I am a collector.

Enjoy,

Stephen Gandy