Subject: Re: Need Advice on B&W films
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:30:52 -0800

I've actually started using T400 CN for all my photos. I'm just not set up
for good process control on developing and the T400 is handled by a
competent local lab that does dip and dunk C-41 for $3.00. At its true
speed of 200 ISO it produces grain as fine as TMax100 to my eye. The
tonality is better than what I was able to get with the 25 ISO films. T400
can also be used at 800 with loss of shadow detail but respectable grain
and no change in development time (due to it's chromogenic image).

A caveat to this discussion is that there is, of course, no one best film
in each category. The characteristics of the films coupled with their
development and the paper used to print them (among the most obvious
variables) will combine to produce a wide range of results.

The suggestions we have are reasonable starting points, but trial and
frustration are the only way to find exactly what you're looking for.

Good luck,

Charlie

              Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Department
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074
      http://emerald.ucsc.edu/~cdunlap
      mailto:cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu