Subject: Re: NEA funding
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 18:07:37 -0700

On 31 Oct 97,  Damian Dlugolecki wrote:

<snip>

>The truly odious cultural expression of corporate America is
> everywhere.  Just turn on the TV and there it is.  Thomas Jefferson
> would have raised support of the arts to cabinet level and this
> discussion would not even be necessary.  I for one would prefer we
> avoid this type of discussion because it really pulls my chain.

Odius, Damian? Seems to me that most of Western Europe and much of the
rest of the world is in headlong pursuit of this "odius" expression.
Yeah, I know, the U.S. is holding a gun and economic leverage to their
head and forcing the issue, right?

Considering myself a bit of a Jeffersonian, I would submit that he may
well have raised "support of the arts" to cabinet level, but would have
fought the cabinet member tooth and nail to keep him from making the
support financial. His support would have taken a completely different
direction than today's NEA sympathizers.

I agree that this thread shouldn't be here also, since it pulls my
chain too, and is quite off topic. I'll never raise it, but damned if
I'll shy away once the camel's nose is under my tent!
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Leica Historical Society Of America
       mailto:beamon@primenet.com

           Thought for the day:
       Work is accomplished by those who have
       yet to reach their level of incompetence.