Subject: Re: Flare
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 21:03:30 -0700

On 31 Oct 97,  TTAbrahams@aol.com wrote:

<snip>

> flare problem was something that I encountered with my 35/1,4 ASPH. I
> shot a sequence at a " car blessing" ceremony in Tokyo in February and
> on three shots the image was partially or totally flared out. The lens
> is now in Germany for service and I am eagerly awaiting its return.
> The 24 ASPH so far has not shown any tendency to the same flare, but I
> hope that my 35/1,4 was a fluke. The biggest problem is that I live in
> Vancouver,BC where the sun is a rarety in the fall!! I feel that the
> concave surface of the ASPH lenses could increase the risk of bouncing
> light. It is not a condition one can create, I have shot straight into
> the sun, no problem, but if the light hits at a certain angle ( about
> 11 a'clock angle ) it bounces or reflects from the bottom of the lens
> and scatters across the surface. So far no problem with my 35/2 ASPH
> or the 24/2,8 ASPH. I am eagerly awaiting the sun to put the 21/2,8
> ASPH to test.
>  Tom A

I haven't noticed a flare problem yet with my 35/1.4 ASPH, Tom, but I
can't say for sure that I have shot at the potentially critical 11
oclock angle. Between Lloyd Weldy and myself, maybe we can try to
reproduce your result. For sure, there's no lack of sun here in
southern Arizona.
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer