Subject: Re: soft release
From: Alan Bearden <healey@uclink.berkeley.edu>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 09:32:29 -0800

At 10:03 AM 11/2/97 +0100, you wrote:
>At 04:15 PM 01/11/1997 -0800, you wrote:
>>I just put one of Fred Wards soft releases on one of my R7's. It indeed,
>>does what it's supposed to. It gives a much more controlled feeling of the
>>shutter release. It works. And it's really simple. It simply extends the
>>release up away from the speed dial and gives you a large smooth round
>>release surface for your finger to push. All your finger feels is the
>>release. No more pushing the release down inside something else (speed dial
>>on R, winder on M). I like it.
>>
>>Many thanks Fred,
>>
>>Jim
>>

>I have been making pictures with Fred Ward's soft release on my M6. Very
>pleasant indeed: in lowlight situations I could go one shutterspeed lower
>than usual as one controls the movement of the shutter release better,
>resulting in less camera movement. Just one observation, as the surface of
>the shutter release becomes both higher and wider, the camera has a
>tendency to fire when put back into the shoulderbag. The M6 has no
>off-switch. A way to avoid the problem is by not transporting the film when
>the camera is put back in the bag. Useful little gizmo, fine job by Fred.
>
>Gerard Captijn.

- ------- Reply and further comment ------

On an M3, a small piece of 2.5mm plastic cut to slip beneath the shoulder
of Fred's soft release and the original top of the shutter release
solves this problem. Even the original M3 release could be activated by
movement
in a bag. Of course, I understand that even a slight movement for the
electronic
M's could drain the battery.

Alan Bearden