Subject: Re: Elmarit 90mm
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 23:37:05 -0500

Back when I had an M2, I checked the engraving on the inner brass barrel of
the lenses; I had heard that Leitz actually put each lens on an optical
bench and measured the true focal length of each lens. They then engraved
the true focal length and f value on the inner barrel. It was there on all
three lenses I had. It would explain somewhat the fabled quality control
under which they are made ( and the reason for the outrageous cost! :) ).
They could then calculate the actual true f ratio- I suppose so that if you
wanted to use the lens for any photogrametric purpose, you would have the
lens' actual values. My assumption always was that when the lens was
assembled, that whatever variations in interelement (?) distances were
checked, and validated before the lens was released. Anyone heard of any
lore similar to this??