Subject: Re: maximizing photographic impact
From: hmphoto <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 17:59:49 +0000

>>What I am finally most interested in is the interaction of the image and
>>our emotions. Specifically, how can the photographer or painter maximize
>>the impact of his images?
There is an old saying in photography that is very important when
shooting for Impact:  "Less is More".  The less info you put in an image
the more it will impact a viewer.  Just think of the images that you
remember and I am willing to bet they all are very simple images.  Eddie
Adams shots of Nadia Komenechi at the Olympics, The Vietnam photo,
Einstadats VJ day pix, and many others.  (I know must have misspelled
several names here.)

Too often people get caught up in using wide angel lenses when a short,
or sometimes even a long telephoto would serve their purposes much
better.  A telephoto really cleans up the background allowing your
subject to snap out of the photo.

Get a simple clean photo with nice light, mood, and, most importantly,
emotion and you will have an image with impact.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto