Subject: Re: I respectfully disagree with Ted ;-)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 22:47:51 -0600

At 09:10 PM, you wrote:

>I refuse to accept that luck is involved, because that doesn't help me.
>Luck is not the 'recipe' I am looking for.=A0 It's an excuse for those of=
 us
>that are constantly 'unlucky'.=A0 I am yearning to be more consistent and I
>believe that the recipe is: learn the basic rules of composition and
>practice, practice, practice.=A0 What else is there?

Accepting the fact that luck is involved. It's not the be-all and end-all
of it, though, so you are on the right track. But as the old saying goes,
"You make your own luck." You have to be in a position to be ready to shoot
when the lucky event comes along.=20

I know, I've been lucky many times to be in the right place at the right
time. Good sports pictures are based on the fact you have the camera
pointed in the right direction when something happens. If you don't know
the game, you won't be even close. But knowing the game, then you know
where to be pointed when the lucky even happens. So if you know the game,
you make your own luck.

I took a football picture in September that just happened to show the knee
hyperextending  of the top player on a team that would put him off the team
for the rest of the season (and they are losing miserably almost every
game). The picture shows it very explicitly. It makes me sick (empathy) to
look at it! I was lucky I was ready for it, but I wouldn't have gotten it
if I didn't have the camera pointed in the right direction.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

HEADLINE:    Red Tape Holds Up New Bridge