Subject: Re: 35mm M lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 10:01:31 -0600

At 10:38 AM, you wrote:

>I'm going to buy a 35mm lens (used) and can't decide between
>the Summicron for its compactness and lower weight, or the
>Summilux for its larger aperture.=A0 I'll be buying a non-ASPH as
>I can't afford the aspherics, and if it's a Summilux it might have
>to be an old one!=A0 Is one considered "better" than the other for
>any reason?=A0 Which would you choose?

The difference in price between the old lenses and the Summicron ASPH
aren't that much. I'd say bite the bullet and get the Summicron ASPH. You
won't regret it. It's very small.  And sounds like a real performer. You
might own this lens for the rest of your life. What's a couple extra
hundred bucks?

But if you're determined to get the non ASPH lenses, consider this. The
Summicron focuses closer, and at f/2 it's probably a better lens. Stopped
down, the Summilux is about as good. But stopped down isn't what you should
decide on. Do you need 1.4? If not, then the Summicron is your choice. For
absolute image quality across the board, the Summicron is probably the
best. Size differences aren't significant between the older lenses. The new
Summilux ASPH is quite big in comparison. But it still seems small to me!
(Been carrying a Nikon F5 and 20-35 2.8 zoom for that last year around with
me!)
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO