Subject: Re: Meterless shooting
From: BBAIN@imnet.com (BBAIN)
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 13:01:28 -0500

     Eric wrote in response to my initial comment about "mindless
     metering:"

          Mindless reliance on a meter is bad. That's the people who simply
          spin the dials until everything lines up. But I would suspect
          that many Leica users are past this point and the fact that Leica
          has multiple metering options in the R cameras and a semi-spot in
          the M6 means that mindless doesn't work so well. But on the other
          hand, anybody who thinks they can do better without a meter is
          fooling themselves. Knowledge combined with a meter (reflective
          is more accurate in the hands of a person who knows what they're
          doing, incident is faster and more appropriate for down-and-dirty
          quick shooting) is the best combination of all. In camera or in
          hand.

     I certainly didn't intend to insult the abilities of anyone on the
     list!  At the time that I was "meterless", the other camera in the
     house was an Olympus OM-2 and I confess that while exposure automation
     sounds like a good idea, I found that I wasn't paying enough attention
     to the light because "the camera will get it."  I found that the
     discipline of having to pay attention because there was no
     technological backup improved my skills.  I quite agree that meters
     are better, but was merely suggesting that going meterless as an
     exercise was useful.

     Bill Bain