Subject: 35mm/2 light falloff question
From: rardinge@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 09:43:31 -0600

Aquestion about light falloff,

I noticed a different (than expected) result last night when looking at
some new proof sheets.  I have a new to me, actually  "preowned", 35mm/2
summicron (#35x,xxx , non asp., has notches for lens hood) that I am quite
happy with but on the last set of proofs there are several frames with
noticable corner vingnetting. I thought of mistakes I could have made. I
was using the leica 35mm lens hood and a heliopan uv filter.  I do not
think the hood or filter were in the way as most pictures do not have the
darker corners.

I thought about what might have been different and realized that I was
using a slower film than usual (100 ASA) and had the lens opened up more
than usual, probably at f/2 for the ones with the darkest corners. On
pictures I know I was stopped down more on I do not see the effect.  I have
had no vingnetting with a 40mm rokkor, 50 summicron, 90 rokkor or 90
tele-elmarit at any aperature thet I have ever noticed. I also have never
seen the effect (although have never really looked for it) with my two
nikon wide angles (24 and 35).

The light falloff appears to be about 1/2 to perhaps 1 stop. It is not as
apparent on an enlargment (possibly because of the light falloff of the
enlarger lens sort of cancelling out the effect? -no corner burning needed
:)  ). I know that light falloff occurs in large format wide angle lenses
(thus the use of center spot filters on some lenses) but I don't have much
experience with it occuring in smaller formats.

My question is: Is the light falloff a "feature" of this lens.  Do others
see the same effect. Is this something the aspherical version addresses?. I
know this is a very small (the reason I like it) lens and it may just be
what happens when the lens elements are narrower in diameter than a lens
like the 35mm nikkor. I don't think there is anything physically wrong with
the lens (that I can see). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Robert

Robert H. Ardinger, Jr., M.D.