Subject: Re: Gary / Alastir / Leica Historical Soc.
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 17:11:53 -0500 (EST)

 Alastir - The East & West coasts of the U.S.A. are almost the same
 distance apart as in Australia (3000mi).  Yes, California has the largest
 population of people & therefore would tend to have the largest amount
 of LHSA members but most of them have had only a passive interest
 in the annual meetings.  There was a meeting here in Pasadena back
 in 1987, when the late Dr. Bob Bingham was President and the usual
 protocol was for the current President to host it.  Roy Moss is from SC,
 Dan Black (PA), Sid Gamsu (OH), Fred Sternenberg (TN),Ed Etzold (NJ)
 & Fred Diehl (Maryland).  This is just usual practice with exceptions (AZ
 & Las Vegas)  for obvious reasons.

 Gary - I have asked past LHSA directors what they thought about a CA
 branch & they all seemed to think that it wasn't a good idea to split into
 factions since many Californian members already do know each other.
 A few years ago Bob Small found that there were 9 members just at a
 normal monthly Bagnall Camera Show of 800 admissions in Orange Co.

 The average age of LHSA members used to be over 60 years old & for
 the most part they were largely collectors. We old fogies are dying out
 and being replaced by younger men who do some collecting but are
 mainly shooters;  Even President Roy Moss, who most own at least 50
 Leicas said to me "Marvin, I am a shooter and have no use for a Leica
 that I won't use".  Incidentely "Maj.General Roy Moss", retired Marine
 Corp. would be more apropos.  This post is getting too lengthy so
 enough for now.

  Marvin Moss ( 10 year member of the LHSA)
<<  - - Interesting observation below about the LHSA convention
 > location. At the
 > Charlotte board meeting last week and in a few other conversations,
 > members
 > expressed that, altho Californians were the best represented state for
 > general membership, they were the worst attendees of LHSA
 > conventions.  Is
 > this true? Unfortunately there seemed to be very little support for
 > a west
 > coast meeting.
 >
 > Gary Todoroff
 >
 > - ----------
 > > From: Leikon35@aol.com
 > ..
 > >    I am in the middle of a bout with the flu & am missing out on the
 > annual
 > >  LHSA meeting in No. Carolina but am seriously thinking of
 > starting a
 > local
 > >  branch in So. California as while there are many members here, they
 > don't
 > >  like to travel half way across the country as most of the members
 > live
 > > either  in the South or on the Eastern keyboard.

 This is one of the reasons that there are two major American Radiological
 Societies. The West coast members got sick of always having to attend in
 Chicago and set up their own branch and meeting. Could it be that they are
 really two different countries?

 Alastair Firkin,