Subject: Re: 35mm/2 light falloff question
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 21:32:33 -0600

At 11:09 PM 11/6/97 +0100, you wrote:

>Every lens has vignetting, However some lenses have more caused by their
>construction. It is like looking thru a tube. When the light rays go straigth
>thru the tube everyone will pass, but from the rays entering with an angle,
>some won't pass. This is where the new ASPH summicron improves much on

I would say so. I've been scanning pictures in from my 35mm Summilux M ASPH
and am finding that the vignetting is minimal at best. Not even really
noticeable in most light. Wide open or stopped slightly down, doesn't
matter. I had to "burn down" a corner because it was distractingly bright.
No seeming fall-off at all.

And boy is this baby sharp wide open. I blew some pictures up on the 21inch
screen on the Mac at work so that the whole frame would be about three feet
across, if you could see it all, and was amazed how sharp the picture was.
I am very satisfied.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch