Subject: Re: roll call
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 23:28:50 -0600

At 10:26 AM 11/7/97 -0800, you wrote:

> I don't do much photography of strangers close up. I think it must be
>
> ather difficult to do without violating the privacy of individuals, but I'm
>
> mpressed by how well Eric Welch succeeds on his Web page photos. I
>
> hotograph friends and relatives close up, but not strangers. Strangers do
>
> ften appear in my photographs as indistinct compositional elements who

Thanks for the kind words.

I was very shy when I was young. And it was very difficult for me to overcome
my natural shyness when I went to journalism school and had to start
approaching people to take their pictures. I often ask permission either
before
or after I start photographing, depending on whether I think talking to them
will cause the spontaneity to be lost.

It's not for everyone, for sure. My job requires it. And in the end, it means
some times I don't get to use pictures I really like. But if you treat people
with respect they will return it.

But when discussing topics I care about, I often can get passionate. Don't let
that make you think I don't respect you! I don't get to do that when I
work, so
I unload on all of you. :-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO