Subject: Civil War
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 10:43:04 -0500

Well, I inhabit a Yankee city in a Southern state, just one of the other
ambiguities in my uncertain life.

One of my ancestors fought for the South at Phillipi, was captured, and
deemed so vital to the Southern War Effort that the Yankees let him go
after promising 'not to fight the Union again', the so-called 'Lincoln
pill'.  Another relative did spend the war years riding with Jeb Stuart,
but he was a pretty distant kinfolk at best:  interestingly, he had one
leg, the original 'Monopod Trooper'.

The rest of my kin were Bluebellies.  My great-grandfather served in the
206th Pennsylvania in April, '65:  he was in the first unit to march into
Richmond.  I love dropping this on CCV matrons when they get snitty about
the War of Northron Aggression.   (I can recoup my status, though, as
another relative was Adjutant to the Virginia Regiment during the French &
Indian War.)

So, damn straight, brother, GLORY!  Glory, Hallelujah!  Save your Dixie
Cups:  the South shall Rise Again!

By the way, there's a camera show in Charlotte next weekend:  it will be a
grand one for Leica folks, as this is a user show, and there are generally
a couple of panicked collector dealers there who, generally, will knock a
LOT of their asking prices.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!