Subject: Re: "Old" 180mm Lens again
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 10:45:04 -0800

At 09:51 AM 11/8/97 -0800, I wrote:

>I had an old 180 and an old 250. I had the opportunity to buy new versions
>at a VERY good price. A store was going out of business. I had both old and
>new for a while. I also had a 180/3.4 . The new 180/2.8, FOR ME, gives me
>sharper, more contrast, cleaner colors, etc, than the old 180, OR THE
>180/3.4 . The new 250 was also better than the old 250. I sold both 250's
>and the 180/3.4 and bought a 350. Which I love and would NEVER sell. Very
>very fine lens.
>
>Jim

You have to realize that this is a subjective test. Not a scientific test.
It could very well be that the lens formula for both old and new are
identical. Maybe only the coating is different. Maybe everything is
different. Maybe nothing is different. Neither do I know nor do I care. I
care about what works for me, what my results are, and my confidence level
of a particular piece of equipment. I personally think the new 180 is
better than the old 180 and better than the 180/3.4 . It works better for me.

Jim