Subject: 35mm M lenses
From: leicas@isham-research.demon.co.uk (Phil Payne)
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 18:49:29 GMT

In message <199711031615.KAA15214@sleepy.ponyexpress.net> Eric Welch writes:

> But if you're determined to get the non ASPH lenses, consider this. The
> Summicron focuses closer, and at f/2 it's probably a better lens. Stopped
> down, the Summilux is about as good. But stopped down isn't what you should
> decide on. Do you need 1.4? If not, then the Summicron is your choice. For
> http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

As an owner-from-new of the Summilux, and an occasional user of the
Summicron, I'd say get the Summicron and put up with having to take
the occasional one-stop risk every now and then.

When the non-aspheric designs were first introduced, they were the same
price exactly (to the penny).  But one was only an f2, and the other an
f1.4.  Leitz was never known for passing up the chance to stick a
premium on a fast lens, so why didn't they charge more for the Summilux?

As you Americans so charmingly say - go figure.

- --
Phil Payne