Subject: Re: Antarctica
From: Len Schweitzer <lens@airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 07:45:03 -0600

I didn't see the original inquiry about Antarctica, so I hoape my reply
to you will be seen by the original questioner.  I went there a couple
of years ago and can offer some helpful guidance.

First, if it's a tourist trip, it'll be during the Ant. summer when the
cold is no worse than a US midwest winter, mayabe even milder.  Next,
take the Nikon 35Ti  for use in the Zodiacs going to and from shore.
Because of the possibility of spray and the need to shoot and get in and
out of the camera bag fairly fast, a point and shoot camera is ideal.

For most of my shooting, I used a Nikon F4 to be sure of capturing
wildlife images (autofocus) before the group moved on and because you
will need something longer than 135 which is the maximum M6 telephoto.
Again, to minimize constant changing of lenses, a zoom or two would be
very nice to have. I had  Nikon autofocus lenses: 24, 105 Micro, 180 and
300 f4.  I wish I'd had only the 80-200 and maybe 35-70 zooms along with
the 24mm.  For Antarctic landscapes aboard ship, I loved the 24mm...got
some exquisite sunrise/sunsets with it.

There will probably be visits to old whaling stations and settlements
that call for the M6, but you don't want to be so obsessed with using
your equipment that you don't really "see" anything.  For that reason, I
limited myself. to the Nikon F4system and an Olympus IS2, 35-135 point
and shoot for use on the Zodiac.  The latter is a pleasure to use and
very good quality optically.