Subject: Re:M5 v M6: conjecture v reality
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 10:27:52 -0500 (EST)

Hi Lucien -

On page 26 of the Leica Compendium, Jonathan Eastland indicates the
"Rangefinder Base Length. 68.5mm" for the M5 and on page 35 he lists that of
the M6 at 49.9.  Are these absolute base lengths as opposed to effective
base lengths?  And, if he intended them to be absolute, he is surely wrong
because the M5 finder windows are not 20mm farther apart in the M5 than in
the M6.  This issue is something we haven't had much discussion about in
LUG.  What do you think?

Curt

>Curt wrote:
>
>>5) Much longer effective rangefinder base length (68.5mm v 49.9mm) than
>the
>>M6 for focusing accuracy with longer lenses.
>
>This is not true, the effective base lenght is the same.
>It is possible to have the M4-P/M6 viewfinder added to the M5.
>
>For the rest it is a respectable point of view.
>
>Lucien
>BELGIUM

Elizabeth Mei Wong
Birding with Women Outdoors at http://members.aol.com/womenout/index.htm
           or with Berkshire County's Hoffman Bird Club

Henry Curtis Miller, M.P.A.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
In the Berkshires, next door to Tanglewood