Subject: The Minox GT -- An Unappreciated Leica?
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 16:23:34 -0500 (EST)

Dear Colleagues,

Below is a copy of a personal post to one of our members. It may be of some
use to those who contemplate buying a true quality compact.

Bob
- -----------------------------------------------------
Thomas,

I use a Minox GT, a 35mm camera that focuses by rotating the ring around the
lens. Minox is now owned by Solms and the lenses of the GT type camera class
appear to be Elmars in design. In any case the 35mm fixed lens is about as
sharp as they come. It renders brilliant color.

The GT is about the smallest 35mm made, outside the Rollie. It's made of a
very tough composite (Makralon) -- not the plastic on most of the P&S. The
lens speed is 2.8. Separate aperture and shutter assemblies, plus an
automatic shutter that can be overridden by +2 stops when necessary. The GT
focuses to about  2 feet. The GT takes standard flash units via a hot shoe.

The Minox GT is made in Germany and is well supported by Solms. I consider it
a professional quality pocket Leica and often use it as a 35mm lens backup to
the M3. It's manual in everything but the automatic shutter, which goes up to
1/500.
A case is available for the GT that also permits a neckstrap. The lens is
protected by a drawbrige lens cover, a classic idea that began with folding
cameras. The more the GT is used the better it becomes. If you can judge
distance and appreciate the 35mm focal length, and want true precision, there
is no better compact than the GT. It's the camera that I have constantly with
me. I've used it for about ten years.

Bob Rosen