Subject: Re: Off topic -- digital
From: Lee Kay Ming <engp6002@leonis.nus.sg>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 19:06:32 +0800 (SST)

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Paul Schliesser wrote:

> >The reason is subtle, though.
> >The problem is Photoshop.  A good scanner will give you 12 bits per
> >channel, each of R, G, and B, or for a monochrome image, just 12 bits.
> >Photoshop will only accept 8 bits per channel.
>

> ??? -- Photoshop 4.0 can do 16 bits per channel in either RGB or
> grayscale. Maybe the problem is your scanner software. Photoshop 3 can do
> over-8 bit depths if you install the appropriate plug-in.

I know that it is very difficult to make a 16 bits machines. How
true/accurate is it when Photoshop 4.0 say its 16 bits?  A normal 16 bit
hardware would not give the actual 16 bits, unless special considerations
are taken note in the design. I am curious how Photoshop go around and
get the 16 bits.
Lee