Subject: Re: M7????
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 11:17:14 -0500

At Fri, 07 Nov 1997 21:57:21, dannyg1@IDT.NET (Danny Gonzalez) wrote:
> Leica has officially denied plans for any of the following:
>
> The electronic M6E
> The M6W (which they've reasonably explained would have too much lens barrel
> viewfinder blockage)
> M6T or consumer version of the M6J viewfindered M6, which they've said has been
> problematic (I remember Roger writing something to this effect. Roger?)

Well, I know which of these `not-going-to-happen' cameras I'm rooting for most,
and perhaps for an improbable reason.  Sometimes, not constantly but often
enough that the M6's limitation frosts my shorts, a picture in hard sunlight
would just look much better with a little flash fill.  And if it's bright out
and the film isn't dead slow, that 1/50th sync speed is seriously suboptimal:
you lose any possibility of choosing a DOF-reducing aperture.  If the M6E has
a flash-sync speed of 1/250th or better (is anything better possible with a
focal-plane shutter?) I'll be there in line at my camera store.  The
possibility of choosing aperture-priority automation occasionally would be
gravy.

Another reason to love my leaf-shutter Mamiya rangefinders.

 -J