Subject: Re: Off topic -- digital
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 23:00:39 -0500

At 10:08 PM 10-11-97 -0400, Paul wrote:
>There is no problem with 16-bit-per-channel files in Photoshop. Those
>bits are only numbers; Photoshop can work with them, no matter how you
>got them. The problems with accuracy are in going from analog to digital
>(scanning or taking a digital photo) and then going back to analog
>(printing). Everything in-between is just changing numbers, and there is
>no problem here, other than the fact that your files will be twice as big
>as 8-bit-per-channel files.

I may be wrong in this, but most monitors are only capable of displaying 8
bits per channel.  There is a 16 bit greyscale format used by astronomers
(I have forgotten the name), but it won't display properly on most common
monitors (or probably more correctly, on monitors powered by most common
video cards).

Dan C.