Subject: Frans Lanting/previsualization
From: hmphoto <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 23:34:26 +0000

I just came from a slide showing by Frans Lanting on his new book "Eye to
Eye Intimate encounters with he animal world".  After his show someone
asked about how he chooses from the many rolls of film the shoots while
on assignment and his response surprised many in the audience.  He said
that even when on assignment for Geographic, who supplies all of his film
he shoots no more than 6 rolls a day.  Very selective in what he shoots.
He said he did not like to look at bad photos and looking at his own bad
photos depressed him so he shot fewer photos waiting for the right
moments.

He also said that he will think about what he is wanting to get on a
shoot sometimes to the extent that he has drawn out a diagram of the
shot. This amount of pre-thought is what makes his photos so impactful, I
think.  I have always thought it is a good idea to picture what you are
wanting to get while on an assignment before you even pick up the camera.
 This way you can have some idea of what to be looking for and when
something close happens you are ready for it.  Also by being prepared you
are leaving yourself open and ready for more and possibly better
situations because you aren't just shooting blind.  IMHO it is better to
have thought out your assignment and be prepared for it than to show up
and shoot it shotgun style, shooting any thing that happens in front of
your camera.  Please note I am not saying go into a situation and stage
direct it and be so focused on what you have previsualized that you are
blind to everything else.  But if you have thought out possible images in
the situation you are going into you will be more confident and better
able to function comfortably.  I think this applies to every kind of
photography.  If you shoot scenics and are constantly looking at vistas
and thinking if only such and such were going on there you will
eventually begin to see things of interest happening in places where you
never saw them before, simply because you are actively looking for them
and not passively waiting to see them.  This is what I mean by
previsualition being able to help you achieve your desired results.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto