Subject: Re: Off topic -- digital
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 97 02:14:22 -0400

>I may be wrong in this, but most monitors are only capable of displaying 8
>bits per channel.  There is a 16 bit greyscale format used by astronomers
>(I have forgotten the name), but it won't display properly on most common
>monitors (or probably more correctly, on monitors powered by most common
>video cards).

Dan,

Whether or not you can display the data has nothing to do with whether or
not Photoshop can process the files. In doing critical prepress work,
especially color correction, it's normal to refer to the info palette and
the actual pixel values, and to use the image on the screen as only a
ballpark reference. It can be pretty dangerous to put a lot of trust what
you see on the monitor, even if it is a good one.

- - Paul