Subject: Canon 501.8 vs Leica Summitar 50 f2...
From: Gabe Sachs <egabe@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 10:18:49 +0000

Hello all.

Okay,  I need some problem solvers here.

I asked the LUG about my Summitar 50 that is decementing.  It has a
semi-circle of decementing that covers about a 1/3rd of the lens.  Many of
you said that it would be worth it to just buy another instead of getting
it fixed because of the price of repair.  Others recommended the Canon 50mm
1.8 (Screw mount) that is great.   I just did a side by side comparison and
I can't see any difference....even with the damage to the Summitar.  My
question is......which do I hang onto?  Will the Summitar eventually
decement to the point that I can't use it anymore?  I'm using bothe lenses
on my M6 and I have a IIIF that I like to use as well.  Please let me know
opinions.  I need a hand.

Thanks
GABE