Subject: RE: was : Salgado & assnt. & TV crew!
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk (Jeremy Kime)
Date: 14 Nov 97 13:12:00 GMT

Ted wrote:

The shooting took place in the home and how
the hell a documentary TV crew of 8 can be "like a fly on the wall?" is
hard to believe.

I mean it's tough enough being a single Leica toting photojournalist
working in confined quarters and trying to be unobtrusive, let alone a
video crew be unobtrusive.

I can second that emotion.
Working in TV, I still find some cameramen and sound recordists incapable of
merging into the background in these situations.
8 people sounds obese, we work with usually 4 in a crew, the two crew (AB),
a director (me) and production assistant. Sometimes I leave the p.a. out of
the scene, sometimes the sound recordist too if the camera mic. sound will
suffice. V. occasionally, I'll even leave the scene too.
What's an option now is to use the new DVC cameras myself in place of a
cameraman with a large camera on his shoulder, the DVC (digital video
cameras) are usually camcorder size and are hand held in front of the face,
rather than on the shoulder. Their low light capability also means there's
more available light shooting possible, no need for 'sparks' and lights...

'Our true intent is all for your delight'...

Jem K