Subject: How much is a M-6 box worth?????????
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 9:36:54 -0500

get
when you bought it.  Save the boxes, save the styrofoam, save the
cards,
save the literature.  It's money.

Marc<<<<<

If my used M-6 is worth 1600,  I sincerely doubt that the packaging
would add another $400 as a quick survey of Chatterton's pages shows
very little difference between boxed and non-boxed items and that
difference is more attributable to having the strap or lens pouch.

Granted, if we were talking about a mint IIIG in original sealed box
25% easily, maybe 100% or more.  Or a Hologon body or a black Summarex
in original box etc.

But let's face it, no collector is ever going to want my M-6 when I'm
done with it as it already has too many marks on it for a collection
with or without the box and I've only had it 4 months..

In my opinion the only time packaging really adds value to the camera
or lens is when the equipment or accessories are in mint condition and
the items are collectible to begin with.  I'd rather have a mint camera
by itself than a beat up one with a mint box.  But I've been to shows
where dealers make a big deal about having the case or box for the item
I'm buying.  Half the time the case has fallen apart and the strap is
broken so I feel like I'm doing them a favor by taking it.  I'm sure
long time collectors could expound on when the box has value or not
better than I.

And no, I haven't thrown the packaging out. But I'm a pack rat anyhow
and it's easier to for me to ship stuff for repair in the original
packaging.  Some Hi-Fi dealers for example, won't repair items with out
the original packaging.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador