Subject: Re: Tell me about the R3?
From: Larry.Zaks@DANA.COM
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:23:25 -0500

On Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 02:18:35 -0500 (EST) ChipZHZ@aol.com wrote:

>R3- First Leica electronic based on Minolta XE-1. Spot metering and
>averaging. 35,600 black,4,250,chrome, 25,000 MOT.  Both common.  Mine
>developed meter problems shortly after purchase. Manual or auto
>(apeture priority?) Rather low resale value.

The above raised my curiosity.  In the KEH Camera Holiday '97 catalog, the
R3MOT's in similar condition are less than the R3's.  I do recall the Minolta
XE-1 vintage 1975 or 1976 and at the time thought it was a very nice camera.
My questions are:

1)  Why might the R3MOT be selling for less than the R3 (at KEH anyway)?
2)  Is it foolish to buy an R3 or R3MOT for mechanical reasons (is it not as
durable or mechanically reliable as other R's)?
3)  The mercury battery problem.  I assume the R3 family took mercury cells.
Does Wien make an air cell that replaces the mercury cell?
4)  Regarding the R3MOT; it appears there is a winder and motor etc.
what would be a better choice?
5)  Would choosing a camera body from the R3 family be a decent way
to get into the R system of lenses?
6)  Finally, I assume the R3 and all subsequent R bodies use 3 cam lenses
to take advantage all possible exposure automation.  Is this true?

Any thoughts, opinions or information you care to share on the subject would
be most appreciated.

Regards,

Larry Zaks