Subject: Re: Tell me about the R3?
From: dvcinc@swbell.net
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:55:12 -0800

Larry.Zaks@DANA.COM wrote:

> On Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 02:18:35 -0500 (EST) ChipZHZ@aol.com wrote:
>
> >R3- First Leica electronic based on Minolta XE-1. Spot metering and
> >averaging. 35,600 black,4,250,chrome, 25,000 MOT.  Both common.  Mine
> >developed meter problems shortly after purchase. Manual or auto
> >(apeture priority?) Rather low resale value.
>
> The above raised my curiosity.  In the KEH Camera Holiday '97 catalog, the
> R3MOT's in similar condition are less than the R3's.  I do recall the Minolta
> XE-1 vintage 1975 or 1976 and at the time thought it was a very nice camera.
> My questions are:
>
> 1)  Why might the R3MOT be selling for less than the R3 (at KEH anyway)?
Usually the other way around.

> 2)  Is it foolish to buy an R3 or R3MOT for mechanical reasons (is it not as
> durable or mechanically reliable as other R's)?

Definitely not foolish if looking for a cheap way to get into the Leica
R system.

> 3)  The mercury battery problem.  I assume the R3 family took mercury cells.
> Does Wien make an air cell that replaces the mercury cell?

Does not use mercury cellss.

> 4)  Regarding the R3MOT; it appears there is a winder and motor etc.
> what would be a better choice?

Only a winder available.

> 5)  Would choosing a camera body from the R3 family be a decent way
> to get into the R system of lenses?

Yes, it is a cheap way to get into the R system with a reasonably modern
camera.

> 6)  Finally, I assume the R3 and all subsequent R bodies use 3 cam lenses
> to take advantage all possible exposure automation.  Is this true?

It uses 3-cam lenses.

Any thoughts, opinions or information you care to share on the subject
would
> be most appreciated.

I have had good success with an R-3Mot.