Subject: Re: Airport hand inspection
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 20:26:10 -0500

Jim wrote:

<<< I'm sure that sometime, somewhere, everyone will have to run their film
through an x-ray machine. But if you can avoid it 99% of the time, it gives
peace of mind.>>>>>>

Jim,

There are countries I wouldn't even consider asking not to have my film go
through the x-ray. Isreal number 1 on the list! I mean they just x-ray it
or you and your bag don't get on the plane. And they make it very clear and
understanding, "It's their way or no way!" are you going to get on the
plane. And they say it with and without a smile! :) And with those guys you
really want them smiling all the time! :)

<<<<Kodak says that their tests show no effects. The problem there is that
Kodak does not operate or maintain the x-ray machines throughout the
world>>>>>>>>.

And there in lies the worry!!!!!! KODAK can do all the testing they want in
their controlled environment or testing where everyone knows it's a test.
But in some obscure airport in Africa, Russia, South America or the Orient
a machine can be out of whack and all KODAK's tests mean diddly squat.

In all the travelling I've done I can hoestly say I have never seen any
effects of x-raying. I know there are people who swear their film was
ruined by the airport machine and I guess it can happen, but sometimes I
bet where they are blaming the x-ray it could have been something else.

Certainly TMax 3200 is affected by earths normal radiation as it's there
all the time. If I'm using 3200 I always look at the expiry date to make
sure I'm not anywhere near it.

As far as I'm concerned 3200 even in a freezer and frozen solid will be
affected. Is this technically true? I haven't got a clue. I just know it
can be in the freezer for 6 months and when you go to use it and compare
negs after being in the freezer to negs that were exposed when you first
got the film and there is a distinct overall "fog" look.

Where as other films, colour or black and white can be in the freezer for
two years and come out looking like it was just made!

But with any kind of luck you'll have enough assignments that the film will
be long used before it gets near the expiry date.

ted

ted