Subject: Film & X-Ray machines
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 08:53:42 +0500

Greetings all,

	I travel a lot and purchase all of my film when I am out of Nepal and
bring it back in with me on just about every trip.  This last summer I
purchased film in bulk in Montreal and after that both the film and I went
through security checks in at least 12 airports.  A lot of the film has
since been developed and I have noticed no fogging or changes in the
negatives at all.  I ship all unexposed film in lead bags in my checked
luggage and carry exposed film with me in clear freezer bags.  I have never
been forced to put my film through any of the machines nor have I been
treated badly by any of the security people but US immigration and customs
people are another story.  I also have to ship all of my transparency film
out of the country for processing so it gets double doses, but again I
haven't noticed any problems.  Just out of curiosity on my last trip in I
left film in one of my cameras and put it through every check on the way
but I didn't notice any fogging.  I should mention that the films I ship
are TRI-X Pan, Velvia & Provia all in 35mm and 4x5 sheets.

	By the way, the weather in Nepal is perfect for photography right now -
clear skies, warm days and the mountains are in clear view.  If I had a
long telephoto I could get great shots from the roof of my house!!!

Ian Stanley

Kathmandu, Nepal