Subject: Re: Airport (drifting off topic...)
From: nhunter1@mindspring.com (Nick Hunter)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 00:52:40 -0500 (EST)

>So first try just walking through with everything in the
>pockets.
>
>Kari

>I then just walk through the metal detector
>"loaded" with film and smile.

>Alastair Firkin,

So film will go through a metal detector OK?

Should have tried that three years ago at Malton (Toronto). I handed over
some film including a 25 sheet box of exposed 4X5 (400 ISO Ilford HP5+) for
hand inspection to a security worker with, shall we say, limited fluency in
english. She whipped off the rubber band securing the outer box and took
the first lid off (note to non large format folks-that only leaves one box
cover before your film is right there before your eyes! no canisters, no
wrappers!) eyes bugging out and gesticulating wildly, I got the box closed
and tried to explain what would happen if it were re opened. She would
listen a bit, and then try to peek into the box! I can't remember now
exactly what I said, but she finally let me through and miraculously the
film developed out OK. Maybe X-rays are not always the biggest risk...

Nick