Subject: Re: Thanks for the Ed on 'M's and 'R's!
From: Jack Gottlob <sam@injersey.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 06:39:04 -0800

MyersPete@aol.com wrote:

> Dear LUG:
>
> Thank you all that responded to my post on M and R cameras. It was helpful.
> Thank you Ted, Tina and Alph, et al.
>
> Ted's suggestion on technique and changing out the screens is of great help.
> I have screens on order - so I will be giving it a try.
>
> I am afraid to take up Tina's suggestion of giving an M a try, as I will be
> in the poor house I am sure! hee hee hee
>
> I also gather that the 35mm f2 M non-aspheric might be worth grabing before
> there are none around.
>
> The size of the M seems very helpful as well as the range finder focusing.
> But, I am not sure how great my light meter skills are after years and years
> and years of matrix metering with various camera systems. I am also a bit
> scared about going to a mechanical shutter (dont laugh too hard you guys!).
>
> The worst part of coming to Leica is that I have become a fellow "glass
> addict". hee hee hee
>
> I greatly appreciate you all sharing with me your experience. The learning
> curve is rather steep in getting the most out of the Leica world.
>
> PetePete:  The only reason that I opt for the M system is because I earn my
living with slr's.  I love photography but have forgotten how to enjoy
it and have fun with it.  The M has given me a whole new perspective.  I
don't feel like I'm working when I use it, and I have no intentions of
using it for anything except to play with.  I don't think that there is
any difference in the images between the M and R.  In fact, aget using
the 90s, the M has many limitations.  Inability to use a zoom is probably
the biggest to me.  When I'm working I love the autofocus as well ...
shoot practically wide open and be in focus every time is importantt to
me.  I can't even see the telephone dial without glasses. (by the way, I
find the M much easier to focus.  I hold the camera at an angle and it
all pops right in, but it would take me alot longer with manual focus.)
The M is also gives me a totally different way of looking at a subject. I
seem to be looking at them rather than through a lens to them.  (A little
hard for me to explain)  At retirement time I plan to get rid of all of
the cameras with the excepetion of the M and the speed graphic, (another
one of my toys). If you're looking for an intellectual approach to
photography, I suggest that you get hold of a 4x5 for awhile, go out with
a dozen holders knowing that you have to shoot two of everything to hold
one back from developing, knowing that you have just a dozen shots for
the day.  Gets you away from the shot gun approach and makes you think
about every shot.  Lousey for street and candids though.  I once set up
on the boardwalk at Atlantic City to take photos of the Steel Pier and
was approched by half a dozen people who wanted to have me take their
photo .. "how much do you charge mister?"
If I had just one camera, wasn't concerned about the size of the system,
I would go for the R. (more versatile)   If I wanted a camera that brings
as much joy just owning and looking at as it does in it's performance,
I'd go with the M.
jack gottlob