Subject: Re: Glass film pressure plate in M3
From: lhtseng@math.fcu.edu.tw (Li-Hsin Tseng)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 20:06:30 +0800 (CST)

> I don't think the glass pressure plates are less desirable. I read
> someplace that the reason that they changed to metal, was that under very
> cold and dry conditions, the glass plate can cause problems with static
> electricity as you advance the film. Static inside the camera body is
> bad, because the little electrical discharges can expose themselves on
> the film. I can't remember where I read this about the glass pressure
> plates, and I can't find it, so I don't know if it is true. I saw your
> message before, but I was waiting to see if someone who knew for sure
> would answer.
>
> - Paul

Thank you (and some others) for the help/reply.
I just read a Japanese book on M cameras (by Mr. Shin-ichi),
in which he also mentioned the static electricity problem
when discussing the differences between glass and metal plates,
and between DS and SS film advances (the DS was to avoid
the static electricity too?).  I can understand only
about 10% of these Japanese characters, but I think what you
said is correct.
Regards,
/Leslie