Subject: Re: Bokeh:a mythical construct
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 97 23:15:07 -0400

>'Bokeh' falls in this
>catagory: it has no sound scientific, not even factual basis. It is
>'believer-stuff'. Like Ronald Reagans SDI project: it is easy to talk
>about, we all seem to agree, no one has ever seen it and in never actually
>existed.

For an extreme example, start by comparing photos taken with a mirror
lens to photos taken with a regular long-focus lens of the same focal
length, and see if you can tell which lens took each one. Then decide if
out-of-focus donuts (or the lack of them) contribute to the subjective
quality of the image. If you see a difference, you're reacting to the
difference in bokeh.

Just look! Some lenses produce very soft out-of-focus areas with a lot of
detail in them, and a soft transition from sharp to unsharp. Others
produce blocky-looking out-of-focus images, which look almost like
abstract paintings, with a sharp transition. Look at photos taken in the
1920s and 1930s, at that strange sharp-yet-not-sharp look that many
close-up portraits have. You can't duplicate that effect with a soft
focus filter. These are all differences in how lenses render bokeh.

As for there being no sound scientific basis, certain characteristics are
well known--for instance, lenses that are highly corrected for spherical
aberation tend to produce a double image in the out of focus areas; you
can especially see this in edges and highlights. I knew of this before I
ever heard of bokeh.

I don't think that this is something to worry about and fuss over, but
you can see it and it is real. On the other hand, good "bokeh" will not
save a lousy photo, and a strong photo will survive awful bokeh.

- - Paul