Subject: Hans in Paris
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans@komvux.skola.mark.se>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 23:46:38 +0100

I wrote a similar message earlier, but it has not showed up, so here we go
again:
After all friendly messages I got from different LUG-members concerning
Paris, I feel obliged to tell you a little about the trip. We lived in a
hotel at the Rue Pigalle, among hookers and "clubs", and it was not far to
Montmartre and Sacre Ceur. Another not far away district is Barbes, with
lots of Arabic and African stores/restaurants/people. Here is also a cheap
supermarket "Tati". We were told that carrying a plastic bag from Tati was
the best insurance from getting robbed. They had security guards outside,
telling me that it was prohibited to take photographs, as a protection for
the "Tati-concept".  Well, I did not mind, and we were not robbed either,
even without Tati bags. We also spent time at S:t Germain and the old Jewish
quarters  behind Notre Dame, as well as Place des Vosges and the Bastille.
Another interesting place was La Defence, that we visited for the first
time.

I brought 2 M-cameras with 35 and 50 mm lenses, the mini equipment I always
use when walking a lot. Films were Tri-X and Elite 100. Paris is really very
photogenique, with photographic opportunities almost everywhere, and a
special light. I found it easier to make decent pictures here than in any
other European city. I have visited. Weather was gray, with no shadows and
1/250  F/4-5,6 at 400 ASA in the middle of the day. I was glad to have the
Summicron asph, as it was used a lot wide open for the slide shots.
At Place des Vosges we found local musicians of all sorts, and my best shot
was made here. Here I also saw two other persons using M6:s, but I had no
time to talk to them. I wonder if anyone of them are members of the LUG? (If
so, I was the man in the dark green coat).
There was no time to visit any photo shops (Instead, I visited quite a lot
of womens clothes stores, but after all, my wife paid the trip...).
However, at Rue de Rennes I went to FNAC and bought a few books (Selgado,
HCB and Doisneau) and I also found a Billingham Alice photo bag. This bag
takes 2 M:s with 35/50 mm lenses, plus one or two additional lenses/or a
meter. I think this bag is almost perfect for M-users, as it also takes the
bodies with additional finders. It is very compact and of high quality. As
in England/Ireland, books are cheap in France, but the bag was not a
bargain. But on the other hand, Nov 17 is my birthday.
I spent last night in the darkroom, and I have published some of the B/W
pictures on my site. The slides will come up soon, hopefully I can scan them
with the help of a friends equipment tomorrow.
Regards, Hans
Mail: hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se
Mirror URL: http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-24872/