Subject: Re: 19 2.8 R (NEW)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 22:27:50 -0600

At 08:11 AM 11/20/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Gotta get that lens! I can, at least aspire to it whereas the 15mm=20
>Super Elmar is out of the question, unless I can steal it!  :^)

Well, my 19 came to work today. In absolute MINT condition. Boy, this is
one gorgeous lens. (Or is that my bank account talking?)

Anyway, I ran some Kodak Ektapress (optimized for photojournalists) 100
through it. And here are my conclusions.

WOW!!!!!!

This is one awesome lens. I shot directly at the sun, with the sun at about
11 o'clock and about 1/8th of the way down from the top of the frame.

Absolutely no latent images (comets?) or reflections throughout the whole
picture. Flare is controlled completely.

Focusing is light to the touch and smooth as any Leica lens I've ever used.
The hood is very heavy and protects the front very well. It's much smaller
than the previous version.

And the best photographer at the paper (no, it's not me) who is a confirmed
Nikon nut who uses an old Nikkor MF 20 2.8 looked through it and said,
"There's no fall off at all at the edges."

I looked at my negs, and he's right.I don't see any falloff. With time I'll
see if our observations hold up. But my impression is if there is
vignetting in the lens wide open, it's too minor to even notice.

It balances on the R8 really nicely. I shot a lot with it tonight at a
fashion show (I did behind the scenes - saw lots of nearly naked women, but
I was mostly noticing how wonderful my lens was! <g>) and am looking
forward to see how it does as an available light lens.

Raving aside, I am really glad I got this lens.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Thought for the day:
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 As always, avoid alliteration