Subject: Re: Roger / Bokeh / Patrick
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 16:33:54 -0800

At 02:46 PM 11/22/97 -0500, Leikon35@aol.com wrote:
>  Roger ---- Patrick (who I respect) wrote to me that his greivance was
>  with Irwin Putts.  If that was the case, I was merely suggesting that
>  he converse privately with Irwin & not "flog a dead cat again".
>
>  Marvin

Let me just clarify Marvin's message a bit, because I think it could be
misunderstood.  I don't have a grievance with Erwin Puts, and I haven't
sent any private messages about Erwin or his postings -- my messages have
been here on the LUG, although one of these messages was from me to Marvin.

At one point, I asked a question of Erwin, because I thought that Erwin
might have said that there were no differences in the ways in which
different lenses rendered out of focus parts of an image.  Erwin responded
to my question, and said (if I may touch briefly on a message that actually
contained a great deal of information) that he thinks that different lenses
may render the out-of-focus parts of an image differently, but he is
skeptical about some of the differences people report and requires further
evidence.  I agree completely with this.  I am a scientist by profession
and I believe in controlled experiments and measurement, and I have always
had the highest respect for Erwin's postings about lens testing, etc.  I
think that the original confusion resulted because he and I had been using
the term "bokeh" differently, and I have now decided not to use that term
anymore because it's too ambiguous.

I don't have any grievances with Marvin, either!  I have a great deal of
respect for him, and find his messages and his opinions fascinating and
informative.  Marvin shares with us a great deal of information about
Leicas that's unavailable anywhere else -- stuff I would never be able to
find in my books, for example, and I have a lot of books about Leicas.

I don't think I have any grievances with anyone on the LUG, although I used
to be sore at Oddmund.

Whew!  We now return you to your regularly scheduled mailing list.

- -Patrick