Subject: Re: LUG Internationalism
From: Bill Larsen <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 15:57:20 -0800

I have to agree with Marvin Moss on this.  This is the only mail list that
I subscribe to that is written in all English.  My other subscriptions are
written primarily in English, but also have postings in German, French,
Dutch, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese.  (I am collecting more dictionaries
than camera equipment).  The etiquette is that you post and reply in the
language with which you are most comfortable.  Seems to work well with
technical language but falls apart when you begin talking about aesthetics.

I missed the specific post criticizing the use of the English language.
However, I have noticed  an unseemly amount of cross cultural bashing.
Also, AOL bashing.  You should note that if a mail address is aol.com, it
is not necessarily from the United States.  AOL seems to have considerable
presence in the European market (specifically Germany).  These are not
folks that are computer illiterate and have signed-up for a free trail
membership.  I also have noticed quite a few posts with political comments
that are specific to the United States=85a waste of bandwidth since American
politics do not translate cross-culturally well.

I enjoy the newsgroups, even the people that go off topic.  Their
enthusiasm is contagious.  But I do not enjoy some of the snide cross
cultural comments I have read.

Regards,  Bill Larsen
ohlen@lightspeed.net