Subject: Re: 50 Noct. in bright light
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 23:39:37 +0100

>The Noctilux is ONLY for shooting at f/1. To shoot at f/1.4, switch to a
>Summilux; for f/2 shooing you should only use a Summicron; that's why
>they made it. Get out your collapsable Elmar for f/2.8, and you need to
>have a screw-mount Elmar for f/3.5.

This statement is so far off the true facts that I refuse to take it seriously.
The Noctilux can be used at all apertures from f/1.0 to f/16 in all
situations from night to clear daylight. To state it otherwise: I use the
Noctilux in broad daylight at f/1,0 to f/16 depending on the task at hand
and I use the Noctilux in full darkness again from f/1.0 to whatever is
necessary to get the image I need. The optical quality then will be
impeccable. The same for the Summilux and the Summicron and the Elmar.
Every lens will have its own fingerprint and will be different in its
optical characteristics, especially at full aperture. And of course the
full aperture quality will be different from the stopped down values. That
has been discussed at length in numerous LUG postings.
Erwin